Friday, January 22, 2010

Being in the Here and Now & Insomnia Help

In the Here And Now
One of my ‘blogging intentions” is to write about whatever is on my mind RIGHT NOW, today, here...referred to as “staying in the present’. It’s what ancient wisdom traditions say is one of the necessary conditions for good health and being a balanced energetic Being. Also, to become more concise (but am not there yet!) So here it is: As I look out the window




I’m noticing a peaceful feeling in my body; I smile softly. Breathing slows, muscles in my shoulders relax as I witness winter snow dispersing into the air as it falls off dark tree branches waving in the wind.
      I have a thought about how they appear thick and solid, yet majestic and graceful in these movements, and I’m aware that the slow rhythm is comforting to me, and my breathing adjusts to an even deeper relaxed level. As I gaze at the woods, I see open spaces created by leaves that have fallen months ago, spaces that were not there compared to summer; I sense a certain spaciousness in my body, too.  I feel my ribcage moving as I breathe, and experience a vibrating, humming resonance throughout my body that seems to reverberate with this scene of nature;
I am with the entirety of All That Is. Nice.

Beauty inside, same as beauty outside.

Working With Others
I notice that a thought arises, right now, about how this is what I do when I'm doing energywork: I place my hands on prescribed places that are efficient in helping energy flow within the physical body, and I breathe. I smile and relax my shoulders, feel a sort of vast openness occur in my head, and this sensation moves down through my feet and connects me steadfastly with the Earth; I become acutely aware of sensations in my body, and sensitive to what I feel between my hands and the person I am working with. I often feel the air a few inches away from my hands as having a density or texure to it; commonly I feel temperature changes (sometimes the receiving person says they feel heat emanating from my palms; sometimes not). Right now I notice that as I think about these occurrences, I am experiencing an awareness with my own self, as I am typing…
      I muse that during a session, ideas, variations in physical sensations, and intuitions tell me whether to stay there, change hand positions, ask a question, share information about the process, or not. At the end of the session (usually takes 45-60 minutes), we both feel relaxed, blissful and pleasantly energized. Maybe we have answers to questions we had before beginning the session, maybe new awarenesses result; maybe it's just feeling good right now, an escape from everyday stress and tensions, which goes a long way in this day and age.
      We haven't found a good way in science to measure this sort of healing , but you can see the difference on someone's face, or in the way they move their body with a little more grace or mindful attention. You can hear the more resonant tone of voice as they describe their feeling of being in tune with their inner experience while being resonant with another (the practitioner), the external catalyst.
      As is true with most healing methods, it's rarely the case that one session will alleviate all your health issues, or be the panacea; you must try it regularly for awhile and see what happens. I recommend at least 3 sessions before making judgments about whether to try something else. Timing depends on the individual; the idea is to get the stuck energy loose and moving, and then keep it from getting dammed up again. The symptoms, such as insomnia, fatigue, pain, etc., will not go away or diminish permanently unless you get to the source, and are willing to explore and be with it long enough to achieve energetic stasis. To stay balanced: develop your own sessions and do them for a few minutes every day.
      It’s very empowering when you take up the baton of responsibility for your own well-being. It takes mindful effort, and includes knowing when to allow helpers into your plan of care and when to let go of them.
That Was Then, This Is Now
      "Now" has shifted to Jan 22: The above writing was my experience at home in Wisconsin last weekend; the rest of the entry below continued today, here in Reykjavik, Iceland, (where it is light from about 10:30 to 4:45pm but a tolerable high ‘30’s and actually there is no snow or ice on the ground except in the mountains). It’s cloudy today so I’m going to practice an energizing JSJ flow after finishing the blog today, helpful for winter!
      I notice that for a blog posting, this entry seems to be getting too long, so will save some juicy tidbits of information for another day…and end with a Jin Shin Jyutsu self-help tip, because I am right now thinking of someone I know who is having a serious bout of insomnia, and maybe this will help them, as much as it is helping me to overcome jet lag while traveling in Iceland:

Hold/touch the base of your thumb

      Ways to do this while in bed: if you are a stomach sleeper, slide your arms above your head and place hands together thus:





For side sleepers, if you put your hands in prayer-like position and rest your cheek on them it’s close enough to be effective.


When sitting at a meeting, no one will know you are helping your sleep cycle for later when you have your hands like this:


And when sitting in mediation, or while watching TV or on a car or bus ride, it looks like this:



Incorporating simple self-help JSJ is easy! 


As the saying goes, enjoy being in the 'present', it is really a 'gift'. (and it can help you sleep better)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Share here...